The French Grandes Randonnées
Since 1947, when the French Hiking Federation began organizing and marking the Great Routes known worldwide by the acronym GR (Grandes Randonnées), more than 200,000 kilometers of routes have been marked. The French GRs are systematically walked every year by millions of hikers and employ thousands of volunteers to maintain and improve them. The economy of countless settlements and businesses is based on them, while hundreds of map titles and guides are issued and sold in tens of thousands of copies annually.
|Code||Route name||Length (km)|
|GR1||Tour d'Ile de France||542|
|GR2||Sentier de la Seine||862|
|GR3||Sentier de la Loire||1301|
|GR4||De l'Atlantique à la Méditerranée||1526|
|GR5||Du Luxembourg à la Méditerranée||1502|
|GR6||De la Gironde aux Alpes-de-Haute-Provence||1371|
|GR7||Des Vosges aux Pyrénées||1464|
|GR9||Du Jura à la Méditerranée||963|
|GR10||Traversée des Pyrénées||908|
|GR11||Randonnée autour du Pays d'Ile de France||651|
|GR12||De Gué-d'Hossus (Ardennes) aux Etangs de Commelles (Oise)||286|
|GR13||Du Gâtinais (Seine-et-Marne) au Morvan (Saône-et-Loire)||463|
|GR14||Sentier des Ardennes||579|
|GR20||Traversée de la Corse||183|
Tour d'Ile de France542χλμ
Sentier de la Seine862χλμ
Sentier de la Loire1301χλμ
De l'Atlantique à la Méditerranée
Du Luxembourg à la Méditerranée1502χλμ
De la Gironde aux Alpes-de-Haute-Provence1371χλμ
Des Vosges aux Pyrénées1371χλμ
Du Jura à la Méditerranée963χλμ
Traversée des Pyrénées862χλμ
Randonnée autour du Pays d'Ile de France651χλμ
De Gué-d'Hossus (Ardennes) aux Etangs de Commelles (Oise)286χλμ
Du Gâtinais (Seine-et-Marne) au Morvan (Saône-et-Loire)463χλμ
Sentier des Ardennes579χλμ
Traversée de la Corse183χλμ
Integration of Long Pelion Trail in the international and national hiking context
Long Pelion Trail (LPT) respond to the global trend of creating long hiking trails - crossings such as the Jordan Trail, the GR20 (Crossing of Corsica), the GR10 (Crossing of the Pyrenees) and the major trails certified by the European Ramblers Association.
In Greece, Long Pelion Trail is one of the few long organized routes. also, it is the only route with a length that exceeds 100 km and has a permanent and full marking.
The daily sections of the total route have lengths ranging from 7 to 24 km. One of the most important features of Long Pelion Trail is the possibility that offers the walker to carry out each daily section as an autonomous hike.
Based on the permanent infrastructure and through the promotion framework that has been provided, Long Pelion Trail will contribute to the sustainable development of Magnesia region, adding to the multi-faceted tourist profile of the region several new elements such as:
- Promotion and support of the remote settlements of North and South Pelion.
- Prolongation of the tourist season - most hikers prefer to come to the area in the months before and after the summer, ie periods when the tourist infrastructure of the area is highly available.
- Increasing the employment of locals in the services of escorting visitors and transportation.
- Promotion of small businesses and increase of annual income of the local economy.
- Development and strengthening of the role of agrotourism units and accommodation.
- Raising awareness of visitors and the local population about the protection of natural resources.
- Contribution to the treatment of natural disasters (landslides, fires, floods, etc.) through the maintenance of the network of paths.
- Addition of long-distance hiking as a new tourist product.